My Ideal Mesh Wi-Fi Network Setup
- You basically just connect an ethernet cable from your ISP modem to a TP-Link Deco M9 puck (USD/CAD)
- Wire another ethernet cable from that M9 puck to a network switch (USD/CAD)
- And then wire everything else from that switch if needed
- Or just plug and play your M9’s
How To Setup TP-Link Deco M9
It’s super easy to setup the TP-Link Deco system and you’ll figure it out pretty much all through the app. But if you want to create one network and not like two separate ones just jump to the section about putting the rogers modem into “Bridge” mode.
1. Install The”TP-Link Deco” App on Android or iPhone
Go to your Google Play or the Apple App Store and search for “TP-Link Deco” and just hit install and open.
2. Connect Modem to Deco M9 via Ethernet and Power On
- Unplug/Power Off Modem
- Connect your modem to Deco M9 via ethernet (Recommend Cat 6+)
- Plug everything back in (M9 and Router)
3. Follow Steps on App and Repeat for Leftover Pods
- Select the location where you Mesh Wifi M9 Puck is
- Create your Wi-Fi network
- (I made a new network first then changed it back after putting the modem in bridge mode – dunno if it matter but seemed safer)
- Add more deco’s one by one
- I bought the 3-pack so I just added two more.
- My house isn’t that big I’d probably only need two but I wanna try bringing the third one outside whenever i want to bbq
If you don’t want to have multiple networks put your modem in bridge mode
Then Setup Your Deco M9 with The Same Wifi Credentials
How To Put Rogers Modem in Bridge Mode
1. On a Web Browser go to 10.0.0.1
2. Sign In To Your Network Gateway
If you’ve never accessed this before Rogers has default credentials setup as:
- admin: admin
- password: password
lol it’s not super secure so I’d recommend changing up the stuff to make sure you have a little bit more security. Also make sure you right this stuff down so you don’t lock yourself up.
3. Enable “Bridge” Mode
- Go to Gateway
- Enable “Bridge”
Make Sure Everything Connects on the Deco App
Setup Security Measures
TP-Link added some antivirus features so just toggle all or whatever you think is necessary for your network.
- Malicious Content Filter
- Block malicious websites that are listed in Trend Micro’s database to ensure you can surf the net in safety
- Intrusion Prevention System
- Protects your home network and applications against external attacks and eliminates vulnerabilities
- Infected Device Quarantine
- Prevents infected devices from sending sensitive information or security threats to clients outside your network
Mesh Wi-Fi Network Resources
- RedFlagDeals – Wifi Setup Suggestions?
- Rogers – Ignite gateway with mesh wifi = slow ethernet. Why?
- Rogers – Advice needed for installing a wifi mesh
- Rogers – Hitron CODA-4582 bridge mode and deco mesh router
- Rogers – How to Find or Change your WiFi Password for the Rogers Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem
- Rogers – Turn Bridge Mode On or Off for your Ignite WiFi Gateway modem
- TP-Link – How to set up an IPv6 internet connection on my Deco?
- Rogers – Recommended IPv6 settings for router
- Rogers – Rogers IPv6 Status